Technical Graphics

Subject Overview

In Technical Graphics students learn to communicate graphically. Students develop both freehand and measured drawing skills. Students draw logos, polygons, 3D objects, developments and much more. Problem-solving, designing and visualizing are also key skills that are learned in Technical Graphics. After the Junior cycle, students who wish to continue the subject on to Leaving Certificate level do Design & Communication Graphics (DCG).

Assessment

At Junior Certificate level, students sit a drawing exam for 100% of their marks. At Leaving Certificate level, students complete a design project for 40% of the marks and sit a drawing exam for the other 60% of their marks.

Junior Cycle

Students are introduced to using the drawing equipment and freehand sketching. At the beginning of first year students focus on improving their basic drawing skills by drawing logos. As students progress they move on to topics such as polygons, constructions, orthographic projection, isometric projection, pictorial drawing, circles in contact, transformation geometry and much more.

Extra-Curricular

Last year we entered ‘F1 in schools’ a project students can partake in. Students from around the country design and make mini F1 cars and race them at regional and national finals. Teams are evaluated using multiple criteria with prizes for ‘Best engineered’, Best Newcomer’ and many more. Last year we won Best Engineered Car and 3rd Place in the Senior Category at the National Finals. Technology and Technical Graphics Students get a chance to enter this competition in 2nd Year & TY. 

This year we have entered 4 teams and will hopefully bring home a national title.

Have a look at some photos form this years competition below:

 

Solidworks

Click this link: http://www.solidworks.com/sw/education/SDL_form.html

Fill in the following but you will need to sent me an email to request School Licience ID.