The aim of Junior Certificate Religious Education is to provide students with a framework for encountering and engaging with the variety of religious traditions in Ireland and elsewhere. The syllabus is built around a framework of knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes. Such a framework would also prepare students for the Leaving Certificate course in religious education.
Junior Certificate Religious Education may be studied at Ordinary or Higher level.
The course consists of two parts:
Students take any two of the following:
- Section A - Communities of Faith
- Section B - Foundations of Religion - Christianity
- Section C - Foundations of Religion - Major World Religions
Students take all of the following:
- Section D - The Question of Faith
- Section E - The Celebration of Faith
- Section F - The Moral Challenge