The aims of junior cycle CSPE are to develop active citizens with:
- A sense of belonging
- A capacity to gain access to information and structures relating to the society in which they live
- An ability and confidence to participate in democratic society.
Junior Certificate CSPE is studied at Common Level.
The course is based on 7 core concepts:
- Human rights and responsibilities
- Human dignity
There are 4 units of study:
- Unit 1 - The Individual and Citizenship
- Unit 2 - The Community
- Unit 3 - The State - Ireland
- Unit 4 - Ireland and the world